Cable internet

Anything goes!

Myrsho
Global Moderator

Cable internet

Post by Myrsho »

I got my cable internet hooked up today, which is about 3 weeks earlier than I expected. There could be some issues with it, but I'm hoping that it gets better. Right now if it doesn't glitch I get 4.5Mb download and 550Kb uploads. I also get pings of 40ms to wildbulldog.com and 80ms to sheffieldfamily.net. However, on the tests I've run so far, I often have pauses and/or a yellow light on the Cable light on the modem. So we'll have to see if that clears up or if it is a more significant issue.

Myrsho : Damek : Bulldog : Lance
Anything worth analyzing is worth analyzing to death.

Altuslumen
Site Admin

Post by Altuslumen »

Nice.

I got 46ms for wildbulldog.com and 79ms for sheffieldfamily.net.

Hopefully, any other connection issues will just be a temp thing.

Altuslumen, Aaron

Myrsho
Global Moderator

Post by Myrsho »

Well, that was frustrating. If I hadn't started hooking up my network so late at night I might have been able to call the internet tech support line and could have made this a lot easier. As it turns out, the first thing you hook up to the internet on my cable provider get it's MAC address registered. So that is the only MAC address that is allowed to connect. So since my main pc was the first thing connected, it was the only piece of equipment that could connect. In the end I had to clone the MAC address onto my Router so that it could obtain the single IP address allowed, and then everything else connects behind it. That is the first time I had to deal MAC address cloning so it took me a while to figure it out. Their web site wasn't any help at all, but a google search for 'linksys router setup' led to a page talking about obtaining an IP address from your ISP (which by this point I knew was the Router's problem). Anyway, it now looks like I'm going to be able to get my LAN up and running pretty quickly.

Altuslumen
Site Admin

Post by Altuslumen »

Wow :!:

I've never heard of anything like that before in my life. I can understand only having one MAC address active at a time, but to register it and not let you switch devices seems rather primative. But, at least moving forward things should be working (just don't get a new NIC and reset your router :P )

Altuslumen, Aaron

Myrsho
Global Moderator

Post by Myrsho »

Heh, yeah, I'll have to be a bit careful about resetting my router or getting a new one. At this point I have the MAC address locked in the router, so I can do whatever I want to with the NIC in my main pc. If I have to, I can call tech support and they can change the registered MAC address to whatever I need.